[CCC DEV] Browser-based IDE exploration

Matt Jadud matt at jadud.com
Wed Apr 10 01:18:05 BST 2013

Hi all,

Although it is early days, I thought I'd report in on my "pie in the sky"
project.

https://github.com/jadudm/jupiter

I don't think it's easily run by anyone else at the moment, mostly because
there's no intelligence in how binaries are found, etc.

I have a browser-embedded text editor that I can use to edit code; when I
hit "compile," it ships the code off to ServerA, compiles it, and ships
back an IHEX encoded bytecode file. Then, I send this off to ServerB, which
is running on the local host. ServerB currently displays the file that it
received, but it's only a step or two from there to drive a process to
(say) upload to the Arduino.

I will admit, I have been doing this instead of fighting with the Windows
native build.

And (sadly), it won't replace the Windows native build, because (for
example) it can't be used for projects like "Life on Mars." (It could,
eventually, but that would require a lot of work.) Mostly, I see it as a
fast path to improving Arduino support without getting bogged down in
rebuilding three different platform-specific installers.

But, it's been a fun exploration.

Cheers,
Matt