[CCC DEV] occam in the "cloud"

Matt Jadud matt at jadud.com
Wed Apr 3 12:36:45 BST 2013

On Wed, Apr 3, 2013 at 7:00 AM, Carl Ritson <C.G.Ritson at kent.ac.uk> wrote:

> Client, but didn't get round to finishing it.  Also porting the TVM to
> Javascript is on my list of cool things to do that I'll never have time to
> do.

Yep. I have one of those lists, too.

Given that Emscripten was used to port the Unreal engine, though, I'm
hoping that libtvm doesn't hide any complexity that would make this path
break. I managed, in the in-between minutes yesterday, to get Emscripten
installed on a VM; given how much time I have lately, it will probably take
a week (at least) before I know if this path is viable.

I'll keep the list appraised, obviously.

> One thing that needs to be taken care with is appropriate sandboxing of
> the compiler.  The occ21 compiler is relatively easy to crash (with
> malformed code), and hence could be exploited and used to hijack the host.
>  Although I think the probability of this vector being exploited is low in
> reality.

Agreed on all counts.