[C.CC USERS] I can get no further than page 14

Ian Tindale iktindale at imap.cc
Wed Jan 19 17:58:30 GMT 2011

Using the plumbing/transterpreter/occam/concurrency thing

open the pdf “plumbing for the arduino”

page 1: title. quickly read, move on.

page 2: Revision 2010-10-26,

page 3, 4 and 5: contents

page 6: preface. popcorn, got it

page 7: occam, interesting, transputers - I remember those

page 8: Parallelism Today, the first practical? Not yet, no led
on 12.

page 9: The Commons. Eh?

page 10: One Blinkenlight. Now the first practical? Yes.

page 11: Open JEdit. Why did I download something called
“Transterpreter” then? Turns out that they’re the same. But what
I see is ‘Welcome to JEdit 4.3’ and useful menu commands and
reams of complicated stuff to the left. Nothing to do with the
screenshot. Closing that bizarre window reveals a window that
might be the one in the screenshot except that has two panes and
mine has one, which I can write the program into.

page 12: Write your program

I write the program shown, including the “include” comment. I try
it with underlines, as shown, and then take them out again when
it turns out they’re not. I save it as told with command-S.

page 13: Build Your Code

I go to the plugins menu. I try to go down to ‘Plumbing’ but
there is no such thing.

Instead the instructions proceed and tell me to select ‘Start
occPlug’, which looks like the ‘occPlug’ menu entry, which
contains one called ‘Start occPlug’, so I do that, and indeed I
get a ‘floating’ window.

As told, I select ‘Arduino’ from the menu instead of ‘Desktop
(TVM)’. I open the ‘floating’ window wider so that I can see the
menu beside the word “device:” and in the new menu, select
‘Arduino’ (my Arduino is a Lilypad 328).

As told, I press the round arrow on the left (not really round,
more of a 90° curved one) and things compile. No errors, two
warnings.

Warning-occ21-servo.module(150)- parameter umax is not used

Warning-occ21-servo.module(150)- parameter umin is not used

compile completed sucessfully

page 14: top

I can find no “running dude” whatever a “dude” is in this
context. I try the rest of the buttons, the cog says “please
specify a port“. After much experimentation, it turns out there’s
a hidden word ‘port:’ beside the ‘device’ menu, and opening the
window even wider, there’s a new menu. Select the
/dev/tty.usbserial-whatever and try again with the three buttons.
The cog first. Lots of text, ending in avrdude done thank you
(aha, so that’s the “dude”) and something about any output from
the device etc. So far so good, but the Arduino is acting like
nothing has happened to it at all. The red button with a diagonal
cross does nothing. The yellow cheese thing with a bobble on top
clears everything. Try again with the curved arrow, then the cog,
still nothing.

Later, try it all again with a different board - a dualminilove.
Still nothing. Page 14 is as far as can be progressed and no
further.

--

Ian Tindale

iktindale at imap.cc