[C.CC USERS] Getting started with "Plumbing" - Thanks

cljacobsen at gmail.com cljacobsen at gmail.com
Tue Jan 11 21:04:30 GMT 2011

On 2 January 2011 20:15, Matt Jadud <matt at jadud.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Jan 2, 2011 at 12:00, Steve Pretty
> <steve.g.pretty at btinternet.com> wrote:
>> 3. On my system, OccPlug does not detect the Arduino com port (as appears to
>> be shown in the Plumbing book) - I have to manually type COM3 in the port
>> box.
>
> I saw that for the first time in Windows just before the holidays. I
> don't know why the enumeration doesn't work. The fix *might* be to put
> that in the book. :/ Or, it's a bug... either way, it merits
> investigation.

Autodetection of what com ports Ardunios have been assigned currently
only works for OS X. It was not hard to implement for OS X and I
suspect that it is even easier under Linux to do the same. I am no
Windows programmer and while I have looked around for solutions on how
to do this in Windows I have found nothing that looks easy enough that
I have the time to sit down and do it at the moment. Does the Arduino
environment detect com ports assigned to plugged in boards? If so it
might be worth looking at how they do it.

Cheers,
  Christian