[CCC DEV] build, Scons

Matt Jadud jadudm at gmail.com
Thu Jul 15 20:04:27 BST 2010

Hi all,

Three questions:

1. The 'build' script at the root of the tree... can we get rid of it?
The build system has matured a great deal, and I haven't used this
script in a long time. Is it still necessary? If not, it only serves
to confuse people coming into our project.

2. The "Scons" files. I had taken a stab at using Scons some time ago,
but we're currently in no danger of using Scons as our build system.
Should I kill them? They were a subject of discussion recently, and
I'm happy to leave them if someone is going to:

a. Leverage them to complete a Scons-based build, and
b. commit to maintaining it.

I don't know of anyone on the core team who is going to do that, so my
inclination is to remove the files. If anyone wants to work on them,
we can branch from the revision before I kill them (or any one of the
past 1000 revisions) and explore from there.

3. Is the .gitignore file at the top of the tree in active use?

That's it for now. Over time, we might want to reorganize a few more
things in the tree to better reflect that our project is actually
multiple runtimes for multiple targets. The "demos" directory is a
good example: it really only provides examples that compile and run
under a particular context... in which case, perhaps they should live
in a part of the tree that makes that context clear? (This, however,
is a slightly larger re-org question that I'm not actually about to
take any action on... so, consider it
floated-but-to-be-disregarded-or-ranted-about-for-now-but-nothing-will-happen.)

The three enumerated questions, though, seem relevant at the moment.

Cheers,
Matt

--
Sent from my TRS-80