[CCC DEV] build, Scons

Adam Sampson ats at offog.org
Thu Jul 15 23:06:57 BST 2010

Matt Jadud <jadudm at gmail.com> writes:

> 1. The 'build' script at the root of the tree... can we get rid of it?

Once we start shipping tarball source releases, certainly -- although
others may take more persuading than me.

At the moment it's necessary for our end users who install KRoC from
Subversion source, because it's too easy to mess up the autoreconf step
-- e.g. having ACLOCAL set from a previous KRoC install.

> 2. The "Scons" files. [...]  Should I kill them?

I think that would be a good idea. We can always dig them out from the
history if someone wants to resurrect the SCons build, but I don't think
that'd be a very good idea anyway (there are better build systems
available now if we wanted to replace automake).

> 3. Is the .gitignore file at the top of the tree in active use?

I find it useful, but most of the built stuff can be removed from it --
I normally use a separate object directory when building KRoC
(e.g. "obj-ia32"), and that's easily excluded as a whole.

> The "demos" directory is a good example: it really only provides
> examples that compile and run under a particular context...

I don't think that's really a problem as such, although some of the
demos should either be modules (game) or examples for other modules
(ttygames). The build system already decides which demos to build based
on what facilities are available.

--
Adam Sampson <ats at offog.org>                         <http://offog.org/>