[C.CC USERS] Serial questions

Matt Jadud matt at jadud.com
Tue Jan 15 00:31:02 GMT 2013

On Mon, Jan 14, 2013 at 6:28 PM, James Brown <james.brown4994 at gmail.com>wrote:

> I get frustrated with the upload process.  Various errors I can’t fathom
> out about not finding files, not in sync.  In the end I usually end up
> having to restart the pc and that solves it.  Would be nice to understand
> what is going on there.

We do need to update avrdude, which might help. In the meantime, however,
you might do the following:

1. Press "Upload" (or whatever icon we use)
2. Hit reset on your board just before the upload.
3. Profit!

When dealing with serial, I find that sometimes the Arduino misses things,
because it comes to life and starts doing things with the serial port.
Resetting the PC... well, I use a Mac, so I face different issues at
different times.

Underneath, we're using the same tools as the Arduino IDE, so there
shouldn't be anything too special/different there. At some point, let us
know what those errors are specifically, in case there's anything we can do.

****

> Also if anyone can tell me why my pc insists on allocating COM7 and COM8
> for my 2 arduino boards.  As far as I can see I am not using any of the
> lower number ports.  Not that important I suppose but would be great to
> understand these things better as helps troubleshooting.

Windows does not like you. (Read: I have no idea.)

> Finally, yes you are right I am inquisitive I have now found those
> libraries.  Thanks for that.  I promise to keep my nose out!  Seriously
> though, it is nice to see how things work.  Again helps troubleshooting
> possibly.

:)

I was kidding about not reading in. You're welcome to ask any and all
questions about what you find. It is certainly the case that we might be
able to usefully expose more in Plumbing... that I don't doubt. That said,
because of how occam #includes work, our "libraries" are not really
"blessed" entities. For example, you could start working on
"libjames.module", put it in the same directory as your code, and do

#include "libjames.module"

and it will be pulled in. Further, the include is the same as copy-pasting
the code into the file it is being sourced from. So, really, all of the
code in the "library" folder is only special because someone other than you
wrote it. (If that makes it special.)

W.R.T. your code:

If you are actually using a PIR module, you might also look at

https://github.com/jadudm/Paper-ES-Sensor

where I use the Modern Device PIR sensor. In that context, I think I was
using it in an interrupt-driven mode.

https://github.com/jadudm/Paper-ES-Sensor/blob/master/pir.module

and

https://github.com/jadudm/Paper-ES-Sensor/blob/master/just-pir.occ

might be of interest.

Or, if I'm completely wrong, nevermind. :)

Cheers,