[C.CC USERS] I can get no further than page 14

Matt Jadud matt at jadud.com
Tue Jan 25 10:04:51 GMT 2011

Hi Ian,

On Wed, Jan 19, 2011 at 12:58, Ian Tindale <iktindale at imap.cc> wrote:
> page 11: Open JEdit. Why did I download something called “Transterpreter”

Not fixed; it's deeper in the build process and not going to change overnight.

> Nothing to do with the screenshot. Closing that bizarre window reveals a
> window that might be the one in the screenshot except that has two panes and

Also probably not going to change. We would have to make changes to
how JEdit behaves that we can't make without risking possible effects
to existing JEdit configurations. (It is widely enough used that we
can't simply edit a config file without possibly risking that a
pre-existing config would be damaged). We could add a note to the book
about these screens, but my hope is that most users are able to adapt
to these splash/start screens.

> I write the program shown, including the “include” comment. I try it with
> underlines, as shown, and then take them out again when it turns out they’re
> not. I save it as told with command-S.

This is user error on your part. You clearly gave the text so little
time that you missed the bolded text saying that these are spaces. I
can't help you here.

> I go to the plugins menu. I try to go down to ‘Plumbing’ but there is no
> such thing.

Corrected.

> As told, I select ‘Arduino’ from the menu instead of ‘Desktop (TVM)’. I open
> the ‘floating’ window wider so that I can see the menu beside the word
> “device:” and in the new menu, select ‘Arduino’ (my Arduino is a Lilypad
> 328).

We'll try and fix the width issue. Note, as I have stated before, we
don't have a Lilypad in our group, and have not yet been able to test
one. I have an Arduino Pro, which is similar but different. It runs at
8, not 16MHz. What this means is that the "Arduino" target *WILL NOT
WORK*. You will not get code to run on this device using the "Arduino"
target.

I will update the "getting started" chapter to include a current list
of supported targets. Further, we can add an experimental target for
the Lilypad 328, but you'll have to help us test it. Or, you can send
me a Lilypad 328, and we'll support it more fully.

> Warning-occ21-servo.module(150)- parameter umax is not used
> Warning-occ21-servo.module(150)- parameter umin is not used

Warnings eliminated.

> I can find no “running dude” whatever a “dude” is in this context. I try the

This has not been fixed (yet). This rev fixed most of the textual bugs
that existed, but new screenshots and process networks are needed
since 1. the icon set changed and 2. to relate to bug fixes. I'm
working on that as quickly as possible.

> rest of the buttons, the cog says “please specify a port“. After much
> experimentation, it turns out there’s a hidden word ‘port:’ beside the
> ‘device’ menu, and opening the window even wider, there’s a new menu. Select

Again, perhaps this can be fixed.

> Later, try it all again with a different board - a dualminilove. Still
> nothing. Page 14 is as far as can be progressed and no further.

If you want to try again with the Duemilanove, please do. However,
start with the new chapter on firmware, and let us know if you have
more luck.

Cheers,
Matt