[CCC DEV] Branch question/confusion

Martin Ellis ellism88 at gmail.com
Wed Apr 24 14:06:01 BST 2013

On Wed, Apr 24, 2013 at 1:27 PM, Matt Jadud <matt at jadud.com> wrote:

> In terms of branching and releasing: back-merging anything sounds like
> work.

It is usually easy (thanks to git), as you can just cherry-pick bug fixes
into the branch.
We can also make it easier by making sure our commits are fine enough
grained, and only working on small bits of code at once.

> Unless we can justify the time, how about if we just tag at stable points.
> Declare major revision updates when a big feature comes in. Otherwise, let
> the past in the repos be the past? (Or, if you prefer, give me a good
> reason why the back porting matters? I don't see one, but I'll admit that I
> haven't thought about it.)

It may not be necessary, but lets us maintain a stable branch, that does
not have non-backwards compatible changes in it.
This way people who are using and not developing can be happy that new
minor releases are just bug fixes and will not effect their code.
Think python 2 V 3.
It is extra work, but it will give people more confidence in the code.
I have used this model for projects with only a handful of developers and
it works well, and fits well into the code review/pull system.