[CCC DEV] [kroc-svn-commits] [kroc] r6697 - kroc/branches/avr-mega/tvm/arduino/occam/include

Adam Sampson ats at offog.org
Thu Jul 15 08:53:56 BST 2010

csprojects+noreply at kent.ac.uk writes:

> Added a GPL to plumbing. Is it good? Should I add it to all of the
> other modules?

We normally use the LGPL for libraries (so they can be used in non-GPLd
programs), and GPL for programs, but yes -- having a license statement
is a good idea.

> +--	Copyright (C) 1997-2010   Christian Jacobsen
> +--                                Matt Jadud
> +--                                Michael Andrew Pirrone-Brusse
> +--                                Adam Sampson

That needs a bit of tweaking to get it into the standard
legally-acceptable form -- you need to list the years individually, and
each copyright owner should have a separate statement. Have a look at
another module for how to do it (e.g. modules/useful/libsrc/useful.inc).

Also, make sure that you do actually own the copyright on the code
you're contributing -- it's common for students' code produced as part
of their course or internship to be owned by their institution. If
that's the case, it'd need to be "Copyright (C) 2010 The Grand High
Council of Allegheny College" (or whatever the standard form is).

(Code from Kent students in the tree always has to be "Copyright (C)
.... University of Kent", for example; EPSRC-funded RAs like me own the
copyright on their contributions, though.)

--
Adam Sampson <ats at offog.org>                         <http://offog.org/>