[CCC DEV] OSCON Prep: Windows Distribution, SVN Commit Rights, Winsparkle Integration

Dave Gilmore gilmorenator at gmail.com
Tue Jul 6 11:15:25 BST 2010

-----Original Message-----
From: cljacobsen at gmail.com [mailto:cljacobsen at gmail.com]
Sent: 06 July 2010 10:26
To: Matt Jadud
Cc: Dave Gilmore; developers at concurrency.cc
Subject: Re: OSCON Prep: Windows Distribution, SVN Commit Rights, Winsparkle Integration

On 6 July 2010 01:32, Matt Jadud <jadudm at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 5, 2010 at 6:10 PM, Dave Gilmore <gilmorenator at gmail.com> wrote:
>> When executing build_occplug.sh there is some deprecated java calls – which
>> don’t mess with the build process but probably should be changed – I can do
>> this if required,
>
> I'm not familiar with the script, as this is an invention of
> Christian's. If it runs faster, and still works, I'd say you should
> commit changes. If it only takes a long time, but works, and "fixing
> it" would take a huge amount of time... it might not be worthwhile
> *right now*. That is, things that work (and are slow) are better than
> "things that used to work, but then I tried to make it faster, and now
> it doesn't work at all..."

RIght now I'd say that these deprecation warnings are low priority. If
you can easily fix them then cool. However, I think (but I could be
wrong) that a bunch of those warnings come from third party code that
we have included in the repository, so it is worth checking where the
warnings are coming from and whether there is some updated sourcecode
we can fetch.

Ok I think your right on the 3rd party errors - I'll investigate exactly where they are coming from and compile a list and find newer sources if I can,
I will then submit this to you guys for review and you can decide what you want to update etc....Else I'll leave it for now until after OSCON.

>> The build_kroc.sh seemed to take a complete lifetime to finish it’s
>> execution – I actually fell asleep at one point! (Lazy Student....),
>
> Yep. It not only built the toolchain (fast), it pre-compiled all the
> libraries (slow-ish). A lot of that time is spent running the occam
> compiler on occam source files, not building the tools themselves.

It builds stuff multiple times, for multiple archs. This does not
help. My best advice is: buy a faster computer :p

It was running on a Virtual Machine so that probably doesn't help :-)

>> I noticed a large number of unrecognised calls during the execution of this
>> script which might be an attributing factor,
>
> These don't hurt anything, and I don't think they slow it down. We
> pass some arguments recursively through the make process that aren't
> used everywhere. Someday, we'll clean that up, so that the warnings
> will go away.

As Matt said, these are completely harmless, though perhaps a little unsightly.

>> would be happy to do this – though we’ll need an xml (appcast) file on the
>> server which we want to get the updates from and I doubt I’ll have access,
>
> Either:
>
> 1. For testing, you can run against a web space you have access to, or
> 2. I can give you access to a server where you can put the appcast file.

Just point it at some random webspace for now if you're able

I'll just point it to my webspace for now to get it up and running

The big problem with Winsparkle integration that might pop up is that
the guys have not yet got support for non .exe binaries (ie java
stuff). Last time I looked (a few months ago) they didn't have this,
but they might have it now. I think there was a ticket in their bug
tracker requesting support for non .exe targets.

I had a fish around their site and tickets etc but didn't see anything indicating this or on their Github site - Guess I can just give it a go and see

>> The Innosetup stuff also needs looked at so if someone can tell me where to
>> grab that from I can assist Christian or whoever,
>
> Christian is, or was, at a music festival. He arrives over here in the
> US around 23:00 GMT-5 on Wednesday. We'll be focusing on all of this
> once he is un-jetlagged. So, he might be able to catch you with some
> notes before then.

The festival was awesome!

Cool :-)

I'll have a look for the repository with the setup bits. I think it
may still be accessible somewhere.

Thanks!