[C.CC USERS] Ethernet shield

Matt Jadud matt at jadud.com
Tue Sep 4 18:24:29 BST 2012

Hi Hachi,

On Tue, Sep 4, 2012 at 1:16 PM, Hachi <hemanzur at gmail.com> wrote:
> The only problem is that for this project I need to use the ethernet port,
> and the SD card reader/writer on the ethernet shield.
> Is there any way to use this shield with occam-pi ? Is it possible to use
> arduino libraries embedded in occam-pi to use the shield ?

There are not, yet, probably because none of us own an ethernet shield.

(I think that's true.)

It is certainly *possible*. Within just a few small limitations
(mostly limited to speed), we can do anything in occam-pi that can be
done in C.

Reading this page:

http://arduino.cc/en/Main/ArduinoEthernetShield

and assuming you are working with that ethernet shield, the answer is
that we have some work to do. Specifically, I don't think we (yet)
have a SPI implementation written. This could be a good opportunity to
work on one, however, which would give us library support for 1) SPI
devices, and 2) specifically, this device.

The other answer is "yes," we can embed C code into our runtime. This
grows the size of the runtime for everyone (generally bad), and to
embed "arduino" code specifically, we have to roll everything over to
C++... which is messy, and has other problems associated with it.
(And, again, it grows the VM.) So we could, but it is a rather bad
path for us to go down at this point.

As a dev group, we haven't been working very consistently of late,
primarily due to moves between jobs, etc. Would there be interest in
picking up some ethernet shields and putting together:

1. A SPI library,
2. An SD library, and
3. An Ethernet library?

The SD and Ethernet libraries would be very useful to me, certainly.
And Hachi, you would (of course) be encouraged to join in that effort
as well, if you were so inclined.

Cheers,
Matt