[C.CC USERS] serial.write.int question

Matt Jadud matt at jadud.com
Fri Oct 28 19:08:10 BST 2011

On Fri, Oct 28, 2011 at 12:42, Aaron Ryan <bringfire at gmail.com> wrote:
> ok...thanks...I didn't see that one in the module...will use it instead.

S'ok. I forgot it was there. I still think we should change

serial.write.int ()

to display decimal, and introduce

serial.write.hex ()

to display in hex.

> Asking genuinely, Do people eventually learn to read HEX in the same manner
> as Integers and Decimals?

Yep.

> Also, is the delay() function the same as its Arduino counterpart, in the
> way that it actually halts program flow or does it only effect the local
> PROC that calls it?  Wondering if I need a "millis" type work around in
> order to call multiple delay()'s without too much slow down.

Nope. This deserves a chapter in the cookbook.

delay (ms)

in occam actually causes a reschedule. If you have multiple parallel processes:

PAR
  proc.a (...)
  proc.b (...)
  proc.c (...)

and you have a delay() call in proc.a, then proc.b and proc.c will
have a chance to execute while proc.a is sleeping. Likewise, when you
do a channel communication, that triggers an opportunity for everyone
else to have a turn.

So, in that regard, delaying is exactly *unlike* a delay in C++. In
occam, it is parallel-friendly out-of-the-box.

Does that make sense?

Cheers,
Matt