[C.CC USERS] Concurrency Boards...still in development?

Matt Jadud matt at jadud.com
Thu Jul 7 23:49:45 BST 2011

Hi Aaron,

On Thu, Jul 7, 2011 at 15:16, Aaron Ryan <bringfire at gmail.com> wrote:
> Here is a video of an auto-chase test run in the space, shot two days
> ago...http://dl.dropbox.com/u/28000155/video-2011-07-02-17-07-25.mp4

Awesome.

> hacked together procedural code) and would in my opinion benefit from a
> concurrent approach to signal passing...so, I am starting to explore JCSP as
> an alternative approach, on the Mac side.  I have no idea how well it will
> suit this type of creative scenario, or what I will encounter as I
> begin...but that's the fun!

Some students and a colleague down at Centenary College in Shreveport
recently started doing some porting of control code we had from a
robotics competition last term
(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=62vgs-zwNTE) into JCSP code for
running in simulation this term. This is the first time I've
(personally) seen a translation-from-occam-to-JCSP... they'll be
joining the list soon (if they're not here already). Of course, other
members of the Kent group have a fair bit of experience with JCSP, and
I think they're on this list.

> Concurrency is sooooo sexy!  I mean the approach is terrific..A romantic
> reason, I understand, but it would be nice to be able to write simple code

Around here, we *specialize* in romantic reasons for diving into
projects. "Practical" is for the weak. :)

> I am looking at these Arduino shields as starting points:
> http://iad.projects.zhdk.ch/physicalcomputing/hardware/arduino/dmx-shield-fur-arduino/

If you commit to hardware, let me know... I'll order one as well, so
that I can help support your explorations. Note that even if you don't
use our board, we run on most Arduinos, so you don't have to wait for
our hardware to begin exploring.

SK Pang does one of these
(http://www.skpang.co.uk/catalog/arduino-dmx-shield-with-usd-card-holder-p-663.html)
off-the-shelf, which might be a good prototyping/starting point.

> all that I can. I love to learn.  I'll have to send you the video of the
> lighting prototype that I did last spring for M&A using the occam-pi
> transterpreter to create an LED chase...I'll have to get the video from them
> and send it along.

That would be great; send it along.

> Nice to be back.

Nice to have you back. :)

I have a ton of updates that need to be done to the book, and will
push some thoughts to the list later. (They're not just small... but a
number of things that might simplify what's there.) If you push ahead
with an exploration of something wicked cool like the lighting
project, and the group can support you on it, that's an awesome way to
contribute. For us to be able to support the use of our tools in
contexts like you're talking about is a great thing.

Cheers,
Matt