[C.CC USERS] getting my arduino back to Java - processing original language

Matt Jadud matt at jadud.com
Tue Aug 31 22:00:19 BST 2010

Hi Sam,

On Tue, Aug 31, 2010 at 16:49, Sam Jewell <sam.jewell at cantab.net> wrote:
> I was trialling my arduino with Plumbing yesterday, and then today I tried
> to upload one of my original previous java/processing programs, and it
> didn't work - it couldn't find my arduino to upload the program.

That is odd, but we don't do anything evil to your Arduino. We'll see
if this helps.

1. You upload the firmware, which actually just uploads a C program.
In other words, the "firmware" you upload to run Plumbing code is just
a big "sketch" in traditional Arduino terminology.

2. Plumbing programs are just bytecode that gets uploaded into the
Arduino's memory where the firmware can find them.

In either case, we use the same tools to talk to the Arduino that the
standard tools do. And, we're not doing anything weird to it. So, your
Arduino is "safe" to use with both environments.

> Is there a way to get the arduino back to it's original state?

1. Make sure both the JEdit IDE and the Arduino IDE are not running at
the same time. It might be that they are both "claiming" the serial
port, and that is why you can't see the Arduino when using the
standard environment.

2. If that's not the case... you'll have to tell us more about your
setup. Really, there isn't anything our tools are doing that should
"upset" your Arduino. The standard environment should see the Arduino
when it is plugged in, and sketches should just upload over our
firmware.

Ah. Omer just answered. Perhaps he magically solved your problem.

Nope. But, he asked the right question: what error do you see, and
what system are you using (Mac, Windows, etc.)?

Cheers,
Matt