[CCC DEV] Repository question

Christian Jacobsen cljacobsen at gmail.com
Mon May 21 10:50:34 BST 2012

On 21 May 2012 11:34, Carl Ritson <C.G.Ritson at kent.ac.uk> wrote:
> My experience of GitHub has been good to date, and I do believe it
> provides a means toward easier (and perhaps more casual) involvement.
> Particularly forks of a given project are easily discovered and
> explored.

I would also lean towards a Git/GitHub move.

> So my logistical questions are:
>  * Who will create/hold the KRoC account on whichever service (and
> presumably do the initial import)?

We currently (as of yesterday) have a "concurrency" organisation[1] on
GitHub which we are currently using for the concurrency.cc website. We
could use this organisation to host the master repository, in which
case members of that organisation would probably own the repository.
Somebody would have to do the initial import, and if nobody else is
jumping up and down screaming "me, me, pick me" then I'm happy to do
it.

It would of course also be possible to start a different organisation
if that seems more appropriate.

>  * What about the private sources in the KRoC repository, leave these
> on projects.cs.kent.ac.uk?

Yes, those will have to be filtered out and kept elsewhere I guess,
unless somebody wants to fork out (excuse the pun) for a paid GitHub
account. Since those things are largely Kent specific it would seem
sensible to keep them on projects.cs.kent.ac.uk.

>  * What about the (small) set of content on the Trac instance?

I propose that we move those things into the wiki/ticket system on
GitHub. I'm not sure if there are any migration tools, but we probably
have a small enough amount of content that it can be done by hand.

Cheers,
  Christian

[1] https://github.com/blog/674-introducing-organizations