[CCC DEV] Reimplement or reuse?

Adam Sampson ats at offog.org
Thu Sep 22 14:38:39 BST 2011

Matt Jadud <matt at jadud.com> writes:

> Our goal is a platform-portable implementation of this algorithm.
> Zach's motivation is to learn more about C, scheduling, and the work
> involved in bringing software to an embedded target... hence, our
> formulation of this project. What would you advise in this context?

I'd be strongly tempted to do a clean implementation of the bits of the
scheduler you're interested in based on the descriptions of the
algorithms in the paper. Having had another look at the CCSP code, I
think this route'll be less effort than trying to extract just the
scheduling code from CCSP; it would also have the side benefit of
validating that our published description of the scheduler is complete.

Do you have a multicore embedded platform in mind to do this on?  If so,
check whether it's got a C++11 compiler that supports the new atomic
primitives; this'll save you some work in (and be more portable than)
implementing your own.

--
Adam Sampson <ats at offog.org>                         <http://offog.org/>