[CCC DEV] The Multicore Transterpreter

Matt Jadud matt at jadud.com
Mon Aug 1 16:18:35 BST 2011

Hi all,

Two short notes:

(1) ---

Starting shortly, Zach Williams will be joining us on some
Transterpreter development. In particular, we're going to be using the
month of August to sprint on the implementation of Carl's multicore
work in the TVM. Based on previous conversations on this topic, it
seems like the following is a good strategy:

1. Port the POSIX-wrapped TVM to LLVM. (llvm-gcc, etc.)
2. Implement the multicore work using LLVM primitives.
3. Profit!

Well, actually, step 3 would be "target a multicore ARM device to test
portability between x86 and ARM." That said, I'd appreciate it if the
rest of the group thought about this and pushed back a bit. For
testing, I'm thinking of trying to get some space/time at the Intel
Manycore Testing Lab:

http://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/intel-many-core-testing-lab/

That said, the goal is to make sure we're following a path that
continues to support portability---LLVM seems like a good back-end to
invest in. Thoughts?

Related: Carl, are you around, and are you willing to help answer
questions if we develop any?

(2) ---

Unrelated, but related, Christian and I were thinking it that it would
be good to get a bit of a "project heartbeat" going. At the least, a
monthly project IRC chat would be useful; while Zach is working this
summer, I was thinking he might update the list on a weekly/bi-weekly
basis/as progress dictates basis, but beyond that, it would be nice to
move a few things forward and keep the team/community in the loop.

That's it for now. I hope the summer is treating you well.

Cheers,
Matt