[CCC DEV] compiling KRoC on Snow Leopard

cljacobsen at gmail.com cljacobsen at gmail.com
Tue Oct 12 16:48:21 BST 2010

On 12 October 2010 16:45, Carl Ritson <C.G.Ritson at kent.ac.uk> wrote:

>> So, should we fix it properly or commit this stopgap solution?
>
> I'm happy to see the patch committed as a stopgap.

Cool.

> Although not sure about the noise in it, re: CCSP ?

I can't remember what the exact error was, but the default gcc on snow
leopard was unhappy about an inlined function being prototyped, but
not declared, before its use. Hence I moved it so that it is declared
before the function that uses it. That is all.

> I assume by fixing properly you mean with respect to tools passing flags?
> Not 64-bit support?

Yes, this is just a generate 32 bit targets on 64 bit hosts effort, so
'properly' in is in relation to 32 bit targets.

> My high level opinion is that the number of tools should be decreased, to
> the point where only one tool exists, and that knows how to deal with
> targets.
> tranx86 is definitely reaching end-of-life, in my opinion.
> occbuild handles a lot of what kroc does already.

I agree.

>> ps the tests in occbench take an extraordinary time to execute using
>> the tvm, should they really be executed by 'make check'?
>
> It's nice to have numbers for the tvm, but perhaps the occbench stuff should
> be a separate build target like 'benchmark'.

A separate target for the benchmarks is basically what I intended. I
did not time how long it took to run the occbench stuff, but when I
just want to check a build passes the standard tests it is certainly
too long (it ran over lunch).

Cheers,
  Christian