[CCC DEV] developers Digest, Vol 4, Issue 4

Matt Jadud matt at jadud.com
Tue Jun 15 21:03:06 BST 2010

> I would have checked out a fresh copy of my branch and then copied my
> additions into it and then checked it in if that makes any sense. At any
> rate I haven't done any copying.

I suppose so.

You can safely, freely commit your branch as often as you like. It is
yours. (Others can write to it, too, but that's another story.) You
cannot hurt/maim/damage the trunk while working with your branch.

It sounds like you could:

1. Check out your branch.
2. Make your changes.
3. Commit them.
4. Do the merge from trunk as described on the page I pointed to
(updated by Adam to be much easier).
5. Handle any conflicts.
6. Commit that to your branch.

Now, you'll have code that contains your changes + the most recent
additions in trunk. You could also...

1. Check out your branch.
2. Do the merge.
3. Commit the merge.
4. Make your changes (if they are a "by hand" process.)

This would avoid any possibility of conflicts.

Either way, please feel free to commit changes as often as you like to
your branch.

Hope that helps,
Matt