[CCC DEV] tvm/arduino/occam/conf/_____.conf.in

Matt Jadud matt at jadud.com
Fri Jul 16 14:34:42 BST 2010

Hi Christian,

On Thu, Jul 15, 2010 at 11:57 PM, cljacobsen at gmail.com
<cljacobsen at gmail.com> wrote:
> Could you let me know if the _____.conf.in files get 'built' and put
> somewhere that I can conveniently pick them up (for use in Windows/Mac
> packages)? Or whether I should just use them as is (since I'm not
> going to use any of the substituted variables anyway) from the
> tvm/arduino/occam/conf/ directory.

They get processed as part of the Linux build/packaging script. This
is probably "bad" from an overall build-system perspective (having
files in the tree processed as part of one build but not another), but
that's because I didn't have the time to make the AVR stuff build as a
first-class part of the autotools build.

You can, for Mac/Windows builds, safely ignore them. Their genesis:

1. I wanted to use Plumbing with students this past spring.
2. That involved creating a way for them to drive the tools under
Linux. We had no way of doing this at the time.
3. I created "arduinocc" (which became "plumb"), and used it to drive
avr-occbuild and avrdude.
4. As the students started working with multiple platforms, it was
easiest to create the config files so that I could source in the
appropriate variables for use with avr-occbuild and avrdude.

As Adam pointed out, this stuff should really become part of
avr-occbuild... but again, things were dynamic and being done in a
rush. Now that we've split things out, and are getting packaging done,
it will be worthwhile to update avr-occbuild so it just "does the
right thing" when run on an occam source file. (And... should
avr-occbuild handle uploading firmware?) These and other questions can
wait for the moment, though...

So, that's the long story why I think you can ignore them on Win/Mac,
and that they don't need to go anywhere as part of the installation,
nor should they be part of your build in any way. Or, they can be...
up to you.

Cheers,
Matt

--