[CCC DEV] JNI - Native Calls to WinSparkle.dll

cljacobsen at gmail.com cljacobsen at gmail.com
Wed Jul 14 14:33:12 BST 2010

On 14 July 2010 08:38, Dave Gilmore <gilmorenator at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 13 July 2010 22:46, cljacobsen at gmail.com <cljacobsen at gmail.com> wrote:
>> If you look at the code for the macupdater you will see that it works
>> similar to the example above, except on the mac one uses Objective C
>> (.m files) and Frameworks instead of DLLs:
>>  Java Code -> Bridge (ObjC) -> Sparkle.framework
>
> Yup done that now and understood :-)

:)

Cool. That should get you a lot further!

>> No worries. Do try to have a look through the mac code and see if you
>> can understand how it works though. The Windows code is really going
>> to be very similar to that.
>
> I do always try and have a good go before asking and use Google and
> existing code as a guide,

Mmm... yeah. We learning we tend to get taught that copying is bad...
learning by example can be useful though, and I have come to the
conclusion that my life is too short to not use code examples and
google in many circumstances :)

> I think the main issue here is me - I have relative little experience
> in C or C++ (I'm learning more as I go though),

I'd not make C/C++ programming a habit... once we've taken the world
over with the Transterpreter everyone will be programming in occam
anyway.

> And unlike the mac version I don't seem to be ab le to find anyone
> else that has done this in windows yet :'(

Yes, I believe that you are the first person doing the kind of thing
we're doing with WinSparkle and jEdit. Congratulations, you'll be the
expert soon! ;)

> The last thing I want is to waste anyone's time or cause frustration -
> so perhaps someone else could implement the native method?

No!(!) Unless you really really don't want to continue! We have got
loads of other things to see to (we have a scary todo board), and
we're very happy that you're taking on the WinSparkle stuff. There is
of course always going to be some time ramping up, questions, etc, and
that is fine. Currently I only have to take some time out once in a
while to answer your mails, as opposed to putting in lots of time to
actually 'do it myself'™

Another thing is that if I just do it, then WinSparkle is my problem
in the future. Now we will have multiple people who knows how this
stuff works which is a distinct advantage! (I hope you find the
project awesome enough that you will continue to want to hang around!)

> I'll keep having a go and see if I can do it I'm not one for giving up
> easily I'll work my way through [1] but as far as I can tell the only
> bit i'm missing is the implementation of the native call,

Cool!

> Time for Lunch and then I'll come back to it!

I'm having breakfast :)

Cheers,
  Christian